Friday, May 13, 2011

Excuse me, just a Tabby? I think not!

My name is Pippin.  I am more than just some plain old tabby cat!  I'm a fearless hunter.  I can run like the wind.  I'm strong and capable of great feats.  Or at least I was until someone shot me.  This is my story and I'm sharing it not so much for me but for the human I own, Mama Cat.  We'll call her MC for short.  MC loves me dearly and was horrified when she found me with my gunshot wound.

This is what I looked like before.

So what happened?  Well, I don't really remember.  I remember asking to go out and that is about it until MC found me 2 days later.  Actually, I helped her out and crawled up high enough for her to see me cause I'm so clever.  She started calling and calling for me to come in that night.  She didn't worry really bad until I didn't show up in the morning.  Like I said I'm really smart.  I hid in places like this when MC couldn't find me so she wouldn't worry. 
Told you I was smart.  One night I actually pushed that screen out and got in the house by myself.

Um, on to the hard part.  When MC got me to Doc, he just looked at her and asked if I was a stray.  As if!  MC took the news pretty well about my leg.  Bones completely shattered.  It would never work again.  MC had to decide to amputate my leg or not.  I guess lucky for me she decided she could do without some stuff and said, "Yes, operate."

WARNING!!!!! These next pictures are rather harsh.  They are after my surgery!  The incision is long and the stitches are big!

I just got home and MC let me out.  She was worried how I would get around.  Geez, I'm great!  Let me out!
OK, it is great to be home too!


MC had concerns about my rehab so she had fixed up the basement for me.  I didn't think I needed it but she was right .  I'm sitting on the the huge dog crate that has a vey soft blanket in it.  She covered it so I would feel safe.  She also thought of food and water.  Even put a short litter box next to it for me.

I thought I was ready to go but being upstairs for awhile sends me back downstairs for long naps.




See I can get around.  It hurt MC to watch me stumble in the litter box and it hurts her to see me forget I don't have a leg anymore.  I still want out in the fresh air.  MC thought if I could sit and look out the window that would be enough.  It was, then I was tired again.


MC looked at all kind of websites to see if she could help me.  Someone named cheepchick sent her a great link that got her ready for me.  The other sites gave her some info.  One of them suggested sunshine would be helpful in the healing process.  YES!  Finally!  She is going to let me out.  OK, so it is MC we're talking about.  We went out into the fenced backyard.  MC hovered and I discovered I wasn't so sure it was a great idea to be out.  Something might go wrong again.

 No!  I'm not hiding like a scaredy cat.  I'm merely being cautious.

MC grows herbs.  Lots of herbs!  So she picked some catnip for me and let me enjoy it in the sun!



Yum!  And MC says it has healing properties for me.  She has really been great.  She even poached a boneless skinless chicken breast for me to have as treats after my meds.


Don't worry I'll look so much better when my fur grows back.  And if you see MC give her a hug, she worries too much about me I  think.  She just wants me to be happy.  I catch her crying when she thinks I'm not looking.  She's just a mom worrying if she did the right thing, she doesn't really care at all how I look.  Good thing cause you ought to see her in the morning before coffee.  Well, maybe you shouldn't.  It's scary. 

Till the next time MC let's me use the computer.

Happiness is a state of mind.
     Pain is inevitable but
       Misery is optional!

7 comments:

  1. Pip lost a leg, that's true but he still has his dignity, courage, and beauty. Qualities that those without often try to destroy in other creatures. Your neighbor failed!
    ~Cheepchick~

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, let's try this again. Third time's a charm. Good to see you up and about Pippin! Hope to see you at the end of July. I will save a spot on my lap for you. P.S. Your Momma looks just fine in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going Pippin! You have a great MC. All our love ~ Missey, Sammie and Honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I don't understand how someone could maliciously do this to such a beautiful creature. This just breaks my heart and angers me to no end...I'm sorry MC, I don't know what to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my daughter was about 8 years old she wanted a kitten. We found Kurry (short for Kuryakin from Man from U.N.C.L.E. I had a major crush rofl)and he was also a Main Coon just like Pippin.
    Pippin reminds me very much of Kurry.
    Anyway we lived on the second floor of a three floor apartment bldg/home. Every day Kurry would go out to hunt. I worried, but he was insistent. One or two days was normal but I just had a feeling something was off the 2nd day.
    My downstairs neighbor's sons were neighborhood terrors, I'd once caught them attempting to drown a very small kitten in a swimming pool. I told their mother, and rescued the lil one.
    On day 2, my downstairs neighbor knocked on my door and told me Kurry was in a plastic bag in the hall. A trash bag, mind you, dead... she said he must have been 'winged by a car'.
    His skull was crushed on one side other than that he wasn't damaged anywhere else. I buried him in a beautiful wooden box in the park. He was like one of my children.
    Two days after, my daughter who was playing in the backyard found a hammer (sledge type) in the communal garage with blood on it.
    We moved soon after. I had the most horrible feelings of guilt for so long afterwards... for not protecting him.
    My daughter will be 31 this month.
    I still miss Kurry.
    Seeing this brought it all back... some people are horrid to animals. Then they become horrid to people too. Watch over your fur babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had cats all my life but never had such a serious injury. My heart goes out to you and Pippen. You must read Homer's Odessey by Gwen Cooper. It is about a blind cat who not only survives but thrives. I think it might help you feel better about Pippen. I always feel if I help an animal just a little bit, at least it knew love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a mega-serious cat lover and I enjoyed your story. Pippin will adjust and so will you. At first, it's hard, but he will figure out what he can and can't do and you will stop hovering and worrying and, with God's grace, you will find a way of forgiving the beast that did this. MANY people do not see animals as having feelings or value at all. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this but thank you for sharing your story and he doesn't look that bad, still a very handsome guy! Trust me, it will become normal to you and to him very soon (and he's much easier to carry and snuggle with the front leg gone). I so relate to your using the last special money to save a cat! May God bless you richly for your loving heart. ((((HUGS)))) I've got far too many rescued animals around here and just keeping up with their shots, fleas and food is quite a pretty penny but I'd rather spend it on them than on any shopping trip!

    Blessings,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete